Best Keto Buns – Crusty Outside and Soft Interior!
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Delicious low-carb keto buns with a crusty exterior and a soft, bready inside!
Need a hearty, bready bun that fits in with your keto diet?
Don’t get me wrong, I love lettuce and cabbage wraps as a keto-friendly serving option, but sometimes I miss my burger buns. That’s why I’m sharing how you can make keto buns with a crusty outside and a soft interior for hamburgers, sandwiches, or just to eat on their own!
Better yet, you can dress this bun up any way you want, like with Sloppy Joes! 🤤
These keto buns can even be frozen in a bigger batch as a time-saving option. I recommend slicing them in half prior to freezing so it’s easier to take them out of the freezer and toast when you’re ready to enjoy a delicious sandwich without carb-heavy bread!
Hip tips when you’re ready to tackle our keto buns recipe:
- Making keto bread requires the ingredients to be at room temperature. To help with the rise of the buns, make sure the eggs have had enough time to warm up to room temperature.
- Make sure your baking powder is fresh! If you’re using baking powder and your recipe isn’t rising as it should, your baking powder might not be active.
- We’re usually big fans of shredding our own blocks of cheese, but pre-packaged shredded cheese will work better for this recipe due to the excess moisture from fresh mozzarella, so we highly suggest buying pre-shredded.
- Love extra seasoning on your buns? Try out our Everything but Bagel Seasoning on top to really give it a punch of flavor!
- These are freezer-friendly buns: Make a batch (or double) and let the keto buns cool completely. Slice in half (if planning to use them as a sandwich in the future) and store them in a freezer-friendly bag.
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 30 MINUTES
A delicious low-carb bun with a crusty exterior and a soft, bready inside, perfect for burgers and sandwiches.
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 3 eggs, room temperature (1 of the eggs for an egg wash)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
It’s sandwich time!
The options are endless with keto buns! Try out our keto-friendly veggie burger, chicken salad, stuffed burgers, or even a slice of our bacon jalapeño cheeseburger casserole to fill the slices of these buns.
My Hip sidekick Chelsey tried this recipe and here’s what she had to say:
“These keto buns are delicious! We’ve become huge fans of the keto buns and the sweet rolls (both use mostly the same ingredients), and they are so easy to make. It doesn’t take much time to make them, and they go great with a variety of sandwiches or even burgers.
My husband, who doesn’t follow a keto diet, not only loves them for sandwiches, he loves to eat them just plain! As with so many of the recipes on Hip2Keto these could be customized by using different types of seasonings or toppings depending on what you’re using them for.”
Want more keto bread options? Try out these delicious buttery keto breadsticks!