Make Keto Scotch Eggs in the Air Fryer
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Ever heard of Scotch eggs? They are hard-boiled eggs covered in sausage, and so easy to make! If you’re looking for a different way to prepare a sausage and egg breakfast that’s perfectly keto, you’ve gotta try these!
Fun Fact: According to EdinburghTourist.com, Scotch eggs are a food that has origins from London, and were named not because of being Scottish, but because the process of mincing the sausage was called scotching.
Traditionally, Scotch eggs are fried with breadcrumbs, but today we’re going to make a super simplified version using the air fryer and just a few keto-friendly ingredients you may already have on hand!
In case you haven’t heard, I’m obsessed with air fryer cooking, especially for keto, and air fryer Scotch eggs are just another great example of why!
I love air frying eggs instead of boiling them, and this is the first step in this easy process.
Then we’ll mix up our sausage mixture and coat the peeled eggs with it. Those will go back in the air fryer, and the result is a satisfying meat-covered hard-boiled egg to eat for breakfast… or really any hour of the day! They would make a yummy high in fat, low in carbs snack, or as part of a yummy keto meal.
Tips for making the best keto Scotch eggs:
- If you like hard-boiling eggs using other methods like the stove or Instant Pot, by all means, complete that step using your desired method. I love this helpful OXO silicone egg insert for keeping eggs in place! Also, check out this post for tips on making perfect hard-boiled eggs.
- Try to use 8 medium eggs, or consider dividing the mixture into 7 Scotch eggs instead of 8. On a couple of mine, the sausage shrank or egg expanded, and it came a little undone.
- I enjoy cooking these using the air fryer, however, they can be done in the oven instead. Place the sausage covered eggs on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 25-28 minutes until sausage is cooked through.
- Sausage does have lots of flavor on its own and can be seasoned as desired. This could be a great way to use up any fresh herbs from the fridge and make it your own.
- This makes a great prep-ahead meal! Just compile the Scotch eggs ahead of time and cook a few as desired by reheating them in the microwave or air fryer for a couple of minutes.
Keto Scotch Eggs
yield: 8 SERVINGS
prep time: 20 MINUTES
cook time: 28 MINUTES
total time: 48 MINUTES
Flavorful sausage covered hard-boiled eggs cooked up using the air fryer.
- 8 medium eggs (or 6-7 large eggs)
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
We enjoyed this fun air fryer recipe so much!
My husband especially loved them as he’s a sausage-for-breakfast-everyday kind of guy. They have lots of flavor and are super hearty and filling. I made a batch and stored them in a covered container for him to reheat during the week for breakfast. So yum, and just 1g of carbs each!
My team member Jenna gave this recipe a test, and here’s what she said:
“Scotch Eggs are one of my favorite foods in the whole world! I have only ever had them at restaurants and I can’t believe how easy they are to make! And in an air fryer? I am going to be making these as a regular breakfast around here! They have the classic Scotch Egg flavor and I love how easy these were to make keto-friendly!”