This Keto Lasagna Recipe is Made with Fat Head Noodles!
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Lasagna is back on the menu for dinner again, keto style!
What if I told you that this delicious keto lasagna recipe actually tastes like high-carb lasagna!? Awesome, right? If you’re in the mood to make an over-the-top comforting casserole that’s guaranteed to please both keto and non-keto eaters alike, this is it!
The result is a hearty lasagna with a flavorful tomato meat sauce, lots of cheese, and of course fluffy “noodles” with realistic taste and texture.
The secret to making the best keto lasagna is the “noodles”!
In this recipe, we’ll be creating keto-friendly lasagna noodles with strips of Fat Head dough to replace typical carb-heavy noodles. Just make a batch of this popular mozzarella cheese and almond meal based dough, then continue compiling your lasagna. Trust me – this is a genius idea!
The rest of the process is much like making a traditional lasagna by cooking a marinara meat sauce on the stove using both Italian sausage and ground beef. Then you’ll build layers of sauce, cheeses, and “noodles” to assemble your lasagna in a casserole dish to bake. So easy and so good!
Tips for baking the best keto lasagna:
- I used Rao’s low-carb Marinara sauce for convenience, but you can make your own keto sauce with crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and Italian herbs.
- If you have never made keto fat head dough before, this is a great post to read with lots of tips for success! It’s easy to make but can be a little tricky the first time. Make sure to roll out the dough into a longer rectangle shape about the same length as your casserole dish so they will lay nicely.
- This is a large batch of lasagna, and the leftovers will re-heat and/or freeze well. Store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- This recipe is easy to adapt to whatever you and your family like by using different cheeses, spices, etc. For instance, my kids don’t care for ricotta, so I just used a small amount. You can even skip it or use cream cheese instead.
yield: 8 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 35 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 5 MINUTES
A keto lasagna featuring a hearty marinara meat sauce and fat head noodles with lots of melted cheese.
For the Fat Head Dough:
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 and 3/4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
For the Lasagna:
- 1/2 a medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 24 ounce jar Rao's marinara
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cups Italian blend cheese shredded (or 1 cup mozzarella and 1 cup Parmesan, combined)
- Optional: additional fresh basil for garnish
This keto lasagna tastes so filling and comforting just like traditional lasagna!
It’s really rich and on the dense side, so a smaller slice is very filling. I love that this is such a kid-friendly recipe, too. Hooray! Sometimes it’s hard to find meal ideas that the entire family will enjoy, but this recipe does not disappoint! The kids will LOVE it, too!
Check out my teammate Taylor’s reaction to this keto lasagna:
“This lasagna was beyond delicious! My family ironically ate my mother-in-law’s lasagna (not low-carb at all) the night before and they said they liked the keto version way better! It was bursting with flavor and the fat head noodles were the perfect replacement for real pasta. I love that it made a nice big batch too so I have some leftovers for later! So much yum!”