Our Keto “Apple” Hand Pies Have a Secret Ingredient
This keto snack bends all the traditional rules.
A flaky crust, some sweet “fruity” filling… we can’t believe these fried “apple” hand pies are low-carb and keto! Want to know our secret? Read on to see the clever ingredient that made our fruit filling keto hack possible.
So how did we make a fruit filling while still keeping these mini apple pies low carb?
The all-mighty Jicama! This versatile vegetable is commonly used as a keto-friendly potato replacement but when sweetened with Swerve and cinnamon, it mimics the taste and texture of an apple. How cool!
Hip Recipe Tips:
- To soften Jicama quicker after chopping, microwave the jicama chunks for about 4 minutes before adding them to the saucepan.
- Egg washing the tops of the pies before baking helps result in a flaky crust.
- To make the Fruit Pies in an Air Fryer: Spray bottom of your air fryer to prevent sticking. Cook at 300 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Don’t limit yourself to just jicama! For a berry pie, try out blackberries and raspberries. YUM!
Keto "Apple" Hand Pies
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
cook time: 60 MINUTES
total time: 2 HOURS 10 MINUTES
Flaky crust and an unusual non-fruit filling are the components to a delicious keto-friendly treat that will have family and friends guessing the secret ingredient!
Flaky Keto Dough:
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon Swerve granular
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Swerve granular
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups chopped jicama (no larger than 1/4" cubes)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
What a surprisingly fruity low carb hand pie… without the fruit!
Ask your friends and family to guess the secret ingredient of our fried hand pies after they’ve tasted the deliciousness. I bet they’ll be shocked to hear it’s, in fact, a vegetable!
Love desserts as much as I do? Try out this easy keto ice cream!