Our “Apple” Handheld Keto Pie Recipe has a Secret Filling + No Pie Pan Needed!
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
You’ll never guess what makes up the filling of our keto pie recipe.
This sweet keto snack bends all the traditional rules.
A flaky crust, some sweet “fruity” filling… we can’t believe this keto pie recipe doesn’t contain any actual apple! Want to know our secret? Read on to see the clever ingredient that made our fruit-filling keto hack possible.
So how did we make a fruit filling while still keeping these mini apple keto pies low carb?
The all-mighty jicama! This versatile vegetable is commonly used as a keto-friendly potato replacement like in our keto French fry recipe. Jicama truly has so many different uses. We’ve used them in our keto Pico de Gallo recipe, our keto “potato” salad, and even these keto wontons.
When jicama is sweetened with Swerve, cinnamon, and nutmeg, it mimics the taste and texture of an apple. Once you sauté the jicama in butter, sweetener, and spices, it really seals the deal as cinnamon “apples” that are used in apple pie. How cool! It really makes this handheld keto pie recipe amazing.
Keto "Apple" Hand Pies
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
cook time: 60 MINUTES
total time: 2 HOURS 10 MINUTES
Flaky crust and an unusual non-fruit filling are the components of this delicious keto-friendly treat.
Flaky Keto Dough:
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 6 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup Swerve granular
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 egg
Tips for this handheld keto pie recipe with a sweet “apple” filling:
- To soften jicama quicker after chopping, microwave the jicama chunks for about 8 to 10 minutes before adding them to the saucepan.
- Egg washing the tops of the pies before baking helps result in a golden flaky crust.
- To make the Fruit Pies in an Air Fryer: Spray the bottom of your air fryer to prevent sticking. Cook at 300 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Don’t limit yourself to just jicama! For a berry keto hand pie, try out blackberries and raspberries. YUM!
What a surprisingly fruity low-carb hand pie… without the fruit!
Ask your friends and family to guess the secret ingredient of our handheld keto pie recipe after they’ve tasted the deliciousness. I bet they’ll be shocked to hear it’s, in fact, a vegetable! I bet your non-keto friends won’t even be able to tell the difference in taste.
Here’s what my Hip sidekick Emily had to say about this keto pie recipe:
“Yum! These are so good and cute! You would never know that the filling is made of jicama instead of apples. I love the flavor of these hand pies. They disappeared quickly at my house!”
Love desserts as much as I do? Try out this easy keto ice cream!