This Italian Inspired Sausage & Spaghetti Squash Casserole is a Family Favorite!
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This Italian sausage and spaghetti squash casserole needs to be added to your dinner rotation.
My Italian grandmother, known as Ma, was an incredible cook.
She was always fussing over a hot stove. My heart sang for dinner at Ma’s house, whether it was sausage with peppers, slow-cooked pork in hearty ragu, or eggplant parmesan with a side of pesto linguine. Anytime I have an opportunity to create an Italian dish, I’m inspired by her garlic-lovin’ roots and freestyle cooking that always turned out amazing.
This Italian sausage & spaghetti squash casserole is pretty basic, however, the taste is rich, hearty, and classic. I think Ma would approve.
Oh, and did I mention the kiddos love it, too?
I never thought my son would devour squash by the handful! The cooking process is simple but the presentation and flavors are pretty extraordinary… My low-carb bestie is spaghetti squash, and the whole family loves it! I don’t miss noodles at all with this recipe.
A few tips when making this Italian spaghetti squash casserole:
- This recipe starts with cooking the spaghetti squash. Check out our helpful post on how to cook spaghetti squash perfectly every time.
- When layering the squash, I use a fork to smooth it out as even and flat as possible. I feel this method creates a nice density that truly replaces the need for a noodle.
- For the first time, I tried Ragu Simply Traditional Pasta Sauce. It’s sugar-free and made with 100% olive oil. I was surprised how much I liked it with the Italian sausage mixture. I definitely recommend it for a quick and easy option.
Italian Sausage & Spaghetti Squash Casserole
yield: 12 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 40 MINUTES
The cooking process is simple, but the presentation and flavors are pretty extraordinary.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, about 3 to 3 1/2 lbs whole (approx 5 cups cooked)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup orange or red bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 oz jar no-sugar-added pasta sauce (or use your favorite homemade sauce)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
This spaghetti squash casserole is a game changer!
This dish is seriously so delicious! If someone in your life is hesitant about trying a keto dish or spaghetti squash in general, make them this dish. I guarantee it will win them over!
This would also be great to bring to some sort of gathering or potluck. There might be some fighting for seconds, though.
My sis Collin also loves this recipe! Here’s what she had to say:
“Oh my… this is one of my favorite go-to Italian recipes! If you miss pasta night, this recipe will have you no longer missing it again. This casserole totally hits the spot. It’s so flavorful too, and the leftovers are SO good! Make it – you won’t regret it!” – Collin