This Italian inspired Sausage & Spaghetti Squash Casserole is our new family favorite!
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
My Italian grandmother, known as Ma, was an incredible cook.
She was always fussing over a hot stove. My heart sang for dinner at Ma’s house, whether it was sausage with peppers, slow-cooked pork in hearty ragu, or eggplant parmesan with a side of pesto linguine. Anytime I have an opportunity to create an Italian dish, I’m inspired by her garlic-lovin’ roots and freestyle cooking that always turned out amazing.
This Italian sausage & spaghetti squash casserole is pretty basic, however, the taste is rich, hearty and classic. I think Ma would approve.
The cooking process is simple but the presentation and flavors are pretty extraordinary…
Oh, and did I mention the kiddos love it, too!
I never thought my son would devour squash by the handful!
Meet my low-carb bestie—With spaghetti squash, I never miss the noodles.
Italian Sausage & Spaghetti Squash Casserole
yield: 12 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 40 MINUTES
The cooking process is simple but the presentation and flavors are pretty extraordinary.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, about 3 to 3 1/2 lbs whole (approx 5 cups cooked)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup orange or red bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 oz jar sugar-free pasta sauce (or use your favorite homemade sauce)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- When layering the squash, I use a fork to smooth it out as even and flat as possible. I feel this method creates a nice density that truly replaces the need for a noodle.
- For the first time, I tried Ragu Simply Traditional Pasta Sauce. It’s sugar-free and made with 100% olive oil. I was surprised how much I liked it with the Italian sausage mixture. I definitely recommend it for a quick and easy option.