Make Homemade Toasted Coconut Butter for Less Than $3
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
You’ll never buy store-bought coconut butter again after making this toasted coconut butter!
Homemade toasted coconut butter is the new keto topping you’ll want to put on everything.
Did you know you can make your own coconut butter? I had no idea it was so easy! And so much more affordable than buying store-bought. I could never, ever go back to store-bought now having made this recipe!
A 16-ounce jar runs anywhere from $10 to $15 on Amazon and is $13 to $15 at Walmart. In contrast, I only spent about $3 for this recipe, which makes 1 cup. So it’d be closer to $6 for the equivalent of 16 ounces.
All you do is run unsweetened coconut flakes through your food processor until it turns into coconut butter. That’s literally all it is — so simple!
Is toasted coconut butter keto?
Coconut is definitely a keto-approved food, so coconut butter naturally follows suit. This particular recipe just steps it up a notch by first toasting the coconut flakes and then adding a few extras to enhance the taste.
Coconut butter always tastes a little bland to me, like it’s missing some element of flavor. So in addition to toasting the coconut, I also added vanilla extract, a teaspoon of keto sweetener, and salt. The result is coconut perfection!
Toasted Coconut Butter
yield: 16 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
total time: 10 MINUTES
Unsweetened shredded coconut is toasted and then goes into the food processor for the most delicious coconut butter.
- 4 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 3 teaspoons keto confectioners sweetener (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Tips for making the best toasted coconut butter:
- Make sure you’re using unsweetened shredded coconut. Sweetened coconut is not keto, and it also won’t blend up well in the food processor.
- Melted coconut oil is used to help “cream” the shredded coconut as it can sometimes be a little on the dry side.
- If you want plain coconut butter, you can skip toasting the coconut and then only add melted coconut oil as needed.
- You will need a good food processor for this to work. It takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes on high for the coconut flakes to turn into butter.
- Try adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder for chocolate coconut butter. Yum!
- Store at room temperature for two weeks or in the fridge for up to 2 months. Microwave for 20 seconds or run the jar under warm water to soften before using.
So many uses!
Toasted coconut butter can be used to make fat bombs, as a dip for fruit, mix it in with a keto frosting, or as a topping for keto ice cream. Check out this recipe for Keto Lemon Fat Bombs that uses coconut butter.
You can also just eat it by the spoonful, haha! It was delicious over keto ice cream. The toasted coconut butter hardened on the ice cream making a tasty shell.
Here’s what my Hip sidekick Lina had to say about this toasted coconut butter recipe:
“Wow, okay this tastes amazing, and smells even better. My home smells like toasted coconut and I cannot stop eating this straight from the spoon. The flavor is perfection with a perfect balance of sweet and rich toasted coconut. Coconut butter is super easy to make as well in the food processor. This is a must-try idea! I drizzled some on a spoonful of keto chocolate chips and it is heaven. Do be careful though, as it’s very rich. I accidentally ate too much at a time and gave myself a stomach ache. OOPS. LOL! “
Check out our recipe for Keto Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk!