Keto Pickle-Brined Chicken Bites with Sweet Mustard Dipping Sauce (Tastes like Chick-fil-A!)
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This crowd-pleasing keto fried chicken is pretty darned simple.
Do you think of fried chicken as being complicated? Do you worry about a lengthy process and messy batter? Fear no more! With only a few easy steps, this pickle-brined keto fried chicken bites recipe won’t leave you in a pickle (but it will TASTE like one)!
This keto fried chicken is super low in carbs (only 1 net carb per serving) because it swaps traditional flour with unflavored whey protein isolate. Whey protein is sticky by nature, allowing you to skip the typical egg wash. This means fewer steps and less mess… YESSSS!
Oh, and don’t worry—much to my amazement, whey protein fries like a champ. It creates a thin, flavorful coating that wraps the pickle-brined chicken in crispy deliciousness. In fact, these little bites are so good, I swear they taste a lot like Chick Fil A’s chicken nuggets! Winning!
You had me at the pickle.
If you’re a pickle fan, this keto fried chicken is sure to become your new fave.
Although the brining process is short, it packs a surprising punch and adds a depth of flavor that really works! The result is juicy chicken with an underlying zing that’ll make you sing! (No joke, my kiddos love this chicken so much—They literally sing and dance with each tasty bite!)
Pickle-Brined Keto Fried Chicken Bites w/ Sweet Mustard Dipping Sauce
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 1 HOUR 20 MINUTES
cook time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 40 MINUTES
With only a few easy steps, this keto fried chicken recipe won’t leave you in a pickle!
For the mustard sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 10-15 drops liquid stevia (adjust to taste as many stevia brands vary in sweetness)
For the chicken:
- 1 pound hand-trimmed chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 cups pickle juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unflavored whey protein isolate (I use grassfed)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon erythritol, confectioners
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt (I like salt—I use 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- oil for frying, high heat tolerant (I use avocado oil)
Hip Recipe Tips:
- Cube your chicken before you brine it. The smaller pieces help to speed up the brining process.
- Place battered chicken (waiting its turn in the hot oil) on parchment paper to keep it from sticking.
- If a fair amount of frying is in your future, I HIGHLY recommend a countertop deep fryer. A deep fryer helps to maintain perfect oil temperature AND cuts down on clean up.
- If pan-frying, use a thermometer to keep a close eye on the oil temperature.
- To reheat leftovers, either bake in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes OR use my preferred method and cook in an air fryer at 375 degrees for 3-5 minutes. (I love my Philips Air Fryer Viva TurboStar.) If you prefer crispy nuggets, I do not recommend reheating in a microwave.
- Have a dairy allergy? Try swapping the whey powder for egg protein powder instead!
If you love pickles, try this Air Fryer Fried Pickles Recipe next!