Get Cozy with a Bowl of Creamy Keto Cauliflower Soup
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Creamy cauliflower soup on a cool weather day? This keto cauliflower soup recipe is the best!
Curl up with a bowl of creamy comfort food goodness, with bacon topping to boot!
There’s nothing better than a warm bowl of keto soup when you’re craving comfort food. This keto creamy cauliflower soup is one of my family’s favorite meals — in fact, they’d be happy eating this chowder three times a week! This recipe for cauliflower soup is also pretty darned easy to make and reheats like a champ if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers.
Butter and bacon fat is the beginning of a beautiful friendship in this creamy cauliflower soup.
Fresh veggies start off with a bang as they sizzle in the luscious combination of my two favorite fats – butter and bacon fat. The caramelizing of onion and leek fills the air with a rich, wonderful scent. I swear to you, as soon as I begin sautéing the veggies, at least one family member immediately appears, asking, “What’s that good thing I smell?” The next thing I know, they’ve sauntered over to help themselves to my already-claimed crumbled bacon!
Not a cauliflower lover? No problem!
What’s particularly fabulous about this soup is that even if you’re not a cauliflower fanatic, you’re going to love how reminiscent they are of potatoes in this particular recipe. And because you get the marvelous mockery of a potato with a low carbohydrate count, this – combined with the rest of the ingredients – makes for a creamy cauliflower soup that doesn’t even feel like it’s a knockoff. In fact, I serve this cauliflower chowder to anyone (keto or not), and they love it.
Hip tips for making Creamy Cauliflower Soup:
- If you have a non-meat-eater on your hands, you’re in luck, because you can easily convert this cauliflower chowder to a vegetarian dish by substituting butter for avocado oil, using veggie broth, and skipping the bacon topping. Easy-peasy!
- If you don’t have access to xanthan gum, no worries! It’s added as a thickening agent at the end, however, this recipe for cauliflower soup tastes fantastic without it. Sans xanthan gum, it just resembles a creamy soup rather than a thick chowder. Additionally, if using xanthan gum, note that it thickens a bit as it cools which is why it’s best to let it sit for a few minutes off the heat before serving.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
total time: 40 MINUTES
You're going to love how reminiscent this keto cauliflower soup is of traditional potato chowder.
- 6 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat (reserved from cooking process)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into small florets (no larger than 1 inch)
- 1/2 cup yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup leeks, white & light green parts, finely chopped and divided (can substitute green onions)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, finely minced
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (1 quart) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) block cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional for thickening)
My team members rave about this keto cauliflower soup too!
“This cauliflower chowder was really incredible. I can tell why Collin raves about it! I promise you do not get a cauliflower taste at all. It’s a comforting bowl of creamy goodness, a must-try for sure! Everything was perfect, the only difference was that I didn’t have to use xanthan gum. It thickened on it’s own.” – Rachel
“This cauliflower chowder is YUM! It’s easy to make and the flavor is on point! I actually blended the chowder up with my immersion blender to blend the pieces of cauliflower for my kids as I personally felt they would be more likely to eat it if it was less chunky, and it was really good that way too as it made it thicker. My husband, on the other hand liked it better with the chunks of cauliflower… and EXTRA bacon! This keto cauliflower soup has been added to my regular recipe rotation.” -Erica