Best Keto Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks (+ No-Fail Cooking Tips & How-To Video)
The only thing better than cheese is fried cheese.
There’s nothing quite like crunchy, savory breading stuffed with gooey, melted cheese. This is definitely a family favorite keto appetizer. Serve up a hot platter of these keto fried mozzarella sticks and score some serious points! Add a couple of tasty dipping sauces like no-sugar-added marinara and ranch dressing—you’ll be everybody’s BFF after the first bite.
Through trial and error, I discovered the best tips & tricks…
I tested different methods, a variety of string cheese brands and breading flavors to come up with a gold star recipe for keto air fryer mozzarella sticks. I worked hard to take aggravating guesswork out of the equation so that you can avoid the frustrations and gooey messes that I experienced during my initial test runs.
If you follow my instructions and tips, you’ll be on your way to making the BEST EVER keto-friendly fried mozzarella sticks!
Hip Recipe Tips:
- FOLLOW ALL OF THE RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS. I’m a recipe skimmer/skipper, so I totally relate to those of you that like to wing it when following a recipe. However, this is one that truly requires adhering to each step as listed in the instructions below.
- IMPORTANT!! Not all cheese is created equal. Please, please, please make sure that you ONLY use low moisture, part-skim mozzarella string cheese. Be sure that the ingredient list says low moisture, part-skim mozzarella. If you don’t follow this rule, you will likely end up with an oozy, gooey mess. (Some successful brands that I tested are Lucerne, Kraft, and Frigo Cheese Heads. However, I did NOT have success with the Galbani brand.)
- You MUST FREEZE your (already breaded) cheese sticks for a minimum of 1 hour prior to cooking.
- Don’t skip the double dunk!
- Be sure to grease your air fryer basket (or grease your tin foil if you line your basket as noted below). This will help to keep your mozzarella sticks from sticking as they cook.
- Use finely grated parmesan cheese, not shredded. (Yup, I’m talking about the stuff that looks more like a powder than shreds). My supermarket has 5-6 oz. containers of it in the specialty cheese section. I use Boar’s Head brand.
- Serve your cheese sticks immediately after frying. Like all cheese, the mozzarella will re-harden as it cools. And we’re definitely going for hot, crunchy, and gooey! YUM!
How about a little visual aid to help you cook up the best possible mozzarella sticks?!
Check out this short, motivational how-to YouTube video or click the play button above.
Keto Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 8 MINUTES
total time: 23 MINUTES
An air fryer recipe that makes amazingly crunchy, ooey-gooey fried mozzarella sticks! ---> PLEASE NOTE that this recipe requires freezing for an hour or more.
- 6 mozzarella string cheese sticks (MUST be low moisture, part skim)
- 1-2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Make a tin foil air fryer basket wrap to avoid sticking.
Some air fryers have a flat smooth basket (with holes) while others have a meshlike construction. Certain foods like to stick to the mesh baskets as they cook… fried mozzarella sticks being one of them. To avoid sticking, I wrap my mesh basket insert with perforated tin foil, and it helps TREMENDOUSLY with sticking. (I have a Philips Air Fryer Viva TurboStar.)
Here’s how it’s done:
- Cut a piece of tin foil slightly larger than your basket insert. Center the tin foil over the top side of the mesh insert.
- Fold the tin foil around edges. Firmly press along edges to secure the tin foil to the insert.
- If needed, trim any access foil from the backside of the insert.
- IMPORTANT—Use a toothpick to perforate the tin foil every 1/4″ to 1/2″ to ensure proper airflow through your tin foil liner. More holes are better than less.
Now, not to get too cheesy on ya… but I really, truly hope that you LOVE this recipe as much as I do!
Cheers to a whole lot of happy snacking!!
Are you cheese obsessed? These Easy Cheese Crisps are must-try!