Get Cozy with a Bowl of Creamy Keto Cauliflower Chowder!
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Creamy cauliflower chowder on a cool weather day? It’s the best!
Curl up with a bowl of creamy comfort food goodness, with bacon topping to boot!
There’s nothing better than a warm bowl of soup when you’re craving comfort food. This keto creamy cauliflower chowder is one of my family’s favorite meals — in fact, they’d be happy eating it three times a week! It’s also pretty darned easy to make and reheats like a champ if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers.
Butter and bacon fat is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Fresh veggies start off with a bang as they sizzle in the luscious combination of my two favorite fats. The caramelizing of onion and leek fills the air with a rich, wonderful scent. I swear to you, as soon as I begin sautéing the veggies, at least one family member immediately appears, asking, “What’s that good thing I smell?” The next thing I know, they’ve sauntered over to help themselves to my already-claimed crumbled bacon!
Not a cauliflower lover? No problem!
What’s particularly fabulous about this soup is that even if you’re not a cauliflower fanatic, you’re going to love how reminiscent they are of potatoes in this particular recipe. And because you get the marvelous mockery of a potato with a low carbohydrate count, this – combined with the rest of the ingredients – makes for a recipe that doesn’t even feel like it’s a knockoff. In fact, I serve this to anyone (keto or not), and they love it.
Hip tips for making Creamy Cauliflower Chowder:
- If you have a non-meat-eater on your hands, you’re in luck, because you can easily convert this to a vegetarian dish by substituting butter for bacon fat, using veggie broth, and skipping the bacon topping. Easy-peasy!
- If you don’t have access to xanthan gum, no worries! It’s added as a thickening agent at the end, however, this recipe tastes fantastic without it. It just resembles a creamy soup rather than a thick chowder. Additionally, if using xanthan gum, note that it thickens a bit as it cools which is why it’s best to let it sit for a few minutes off the heat before serving.
Creamy Cauliflower Chowder
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
total time: 40 MINUTES
Keto comfort food at its best! You're going to love how reminiscent this is of traditional potato chowder.
- 6 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat (reserved from cooking process)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into small florets (no larger than 1 inch)
- 1/2 cup yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup leeks, white & light green parts, finely chopped and divided (can substitute green onions)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, finely minced
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (1 quart) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) block cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional for thickening)
Check out these 5-star reviews to see why other team members love this chowder, too!
“I am a big fan of potato soup, so I didn’t have high expectations that this would taste “potatoey”, but it totally did and it was delicious! I didn’t have any xanthan gum on hand, but next time I will for sure try that for thickening it a bit. Can’t wait to eat the leftovers today!” -Michelle
“This Cauliflower chowder is YUM! It’s easy to make and the flavor is on point! I actually blended the chowder up with my immersion blender to blend the pieces of cauliflower for my kids as I personally felt they would be more likely to eat it if it was less chunky, and it was really good that way too as it made it thicker. My husband, on the other hand liked it better with the chunks of cauliflower… and EXTRA bacon! This chowder has been added to my regular recipe rotation.” -Erica