No Bread? No Problem! Keto Pickle Sandwich to the Rescue
The pickle is no longer relegated to the side of the plate!
Eating keto doesn’t have to mean saying goodbye to your favorite sandwiches – you can still enjoy them by swapping out the bread for a dill pickle! It not only gives you a way to hold your sandwich in the traditional manner, but it also eliminates the need to serve pickles on the side, since you’re using them as an integral part of the sandwich!
These log in at just three carbs each, and you can modify the low-carb deli recipe depending on the size or flavor of pickle you have on-hand, as well as the types of meats or other fillings you prefer.
- Different pickle sizes allow for a variety of ingredients. We used a medium-sized dill pickle for this recipe, but if you use a larger one, you can add more meats – just be sure to hollow out the pickle as directed below.
- Check the carbs on the ingredients you add to the sandwich. Feel free to switch out the sandwich ingredients to your favorites, but make sure you check the carbs on the additions you use to ensure the sandwich doesn’t go over your allotted amount.
- Add condiments as you like. We used classic vinegar and oil on this sandwich, but if you prefer mayonnaise or mustard, it’s easy to swap those in instead.
- Consider using flavored pickles! Instead of using a variety of condiments, you can bring flair to your pickle sandwiches by switching out the pickle flavors. One surefire favorite is a garlic dill, which brings some extra zing to the sandwich!
The pickle sandwich is incredibly easy to bite into!
When I bite down, it doesn’t squeeze the ingredients out, which is what I was worried about. The pickles were from a jar, so they were a bit softer than, say, an NYC pickle from a barrel might be. Those may be harder to bite into.
Keto Pickle Sandwiches
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
total time: 10 MINUTES
The addictive pickle flavor without the guilt of a grain-heavy sandwich!
- 4 medium-sized dill pickles
- ¼ pound pizza-sized pepperoni slices
- ¼ pound turkey breast, sliced thin
- ¼ pound Swiss cheese, sliced thin
- ¼ pound imported ham, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup shredded lettuce
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
This recipe is so delicious!
Hollowing out the pickle makes it easy to load up those ingredients, too! I even like that you can use a giant pickle and cut it into sections to serve guests on Game Day. Enjoy!