No-Fail Keto Cilantro Pesto Salmon Recipe
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This bakes pesto salmon recipe is too good not to add to your weekday menu!
Could you use a fresh new way to serve salmon for dinner?
Consider baking salmon in the oven with a quick homemade cilantro pesto bursting with lime and cilantro flavors. But to any pesto purists out there, fear not, as this topping still has parmesan cheese and pine nuts like traditional pesto.
Once baked, the pesto caramelizes over the fish for a flavorful keto salmon dish!
If you love eating salmon at restaurants, yet have been intimidated to cook it at home, this is the recipe for you! A flaky piece of baked keto salmon is simple to pull off any night of the week with just 10 minutes in the oven. After coating the fish with the flavorful pesto sauce, it cooks up quickly in the oven without having to give too much attention to the cooking process!
Plus, salmon is a great fish for keto with 0g of carbs and lots of healthy fats, along with nutrients like B12 and Vitamin D3.
Hip recipe tips for this pesto salmon recipe:
- Not a cilantro fan? You can always substitute it with basil, parsley, or other herb options to keep the pesto more traditional.
- I’m using pine nuts here, but you can use other nuts like pecans or almonds. Check out our list of the best keto nuts!
- Traditional pesto uses olive oil (and you can use it here, too) but I thought the combination of cilantro and avocado oil here was YUM! Avocado oil is so great for keto because of its healthy fatty acids and anti-inflammatory properties.
- This sauce is pretty versatile, as the cilantro pesto mix would be delicious baked over chicken or steak, too!
Keto Cilantro Pesto Salmon
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 10 MINUTES
total time: 25 MINUTES
Whip up this brightly flavored cilantro pesto and then bake it over a piece of flaky salmon for an outstanding keto dinner all will love!
For the Cilantro Lime Pesto:
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/4 cups cilantro, packed
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- juice from 1 lime
For the Salmon:
- 4- 5 oz. pieces of fresh salmon
- pinch of salt and pepper for each piece of fish
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
For the Cilantro Lime Pesto:
To a food processor, add garlic and pine nuts. Turn on and process until finely chopped, about 3-5 seconds. Add in half the oil and all the cilantro, and process for a few more seconds. Add in the remaining oil, salt, parmesan cheese, and lime juice, and process until smooth. If it's too thick, add another tablespoon of oil.
Pat the fish dry and place skin side down on the prepared sheet pan. Season each piece with a pinch of salt and pepper. Spoon a couple of teaspoons of pesto over each piece of fish.
Bake in the oven for 10-11 minutes until the fish is flaky and cooked through. Serve warm and enjoy!
Yield: 4 pieces of fish, Serving Size: 5 oz.
Amount Per Serving: 472 Calories | 36.2g Fat | 2.6g Total Carbs | 0.5g Fiber | 0.6g Sugar | 33.9g Protein | 2.1g Net Carbs
This fish was flaky and had so much bright & fresh flavor!
My family absolutely loved this recipe and I was excited my kids did too. It was such a simple dish to prepare and I added a side of steamed broccoli to go along with it. I think a side of cauliflower rice would be yummy, too — enjoy!
How long would this pesto keep in the fridge?
Hi Amy! It looks like the Pesto would last 4-5 days in the fridge. Hope you love it! 💞