The Best Keto Apple Crisp Recipe Made with a Secret Ingredient
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This warm keto apple crisp is everything you’ve been missing since starting keto.
Keto apple crisp is the ultimate cool weather dessert.
As the seasons change into fall and winter, there’s nothing better than baked cinnamon “apples” with a sweet crunchy topping. If you didn’t know, baked jicama makes the perfect apple substitute for this dessert!
The jicama is coated in a cinnamon and sweetener mixture, topped with the perfect keto-friendly crispy layer, and then baked to absolute perfection. Your house will smell like fall as you fall in love with this keto treat.
Are apples keto?
Apples, like most fruits, are not keto. They have about 25 grams of total carbs for a medium apple, and 19 grams of net carbs. If you’re following a strict keto diet, that would take up almost all your carbs for the day!
On the other hand, 1 cup of jicama, about the equivalent of a medium apple, has 11 grams of total carbs and only 5 grams of net carbs!
Curious which other fruit are and are not keto? Check out our best keto fruits to eat guide!
Keto Apple Crisp
yield: 8 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 40 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
Baked, soul-warming cinnamon "apples" topped with the perfect sweet, crumbly keto topping.
- 2 large jicama (6 cups chopped)
- 1/4 cup butter, salted, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup granular keto sweetener
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Tips for making the best keto apple crisp:
- Microwaving the jicama before you bake it is key. Jicama is a lot harder than apples so it takes a much longer time to get soft during baking. If the jicama isn’t precooked, the crisp portion will end up getting overbaked before the jicama gets soft enough to eat. Depending on your microwave, it might take 5 to 8 minutes for it to get soft, potentially up to 10 minutes.
- Cut the jicama into 1/4 inch or smaller pieces. This will help it bake faster.
- Top this keto apple crisp with our easy mason jar keto ice cream!
- This reheats great… if you have any leftovers that is!
- You can also freeze this dessert. If that’s the case, freeze it in individual portions.
This is the best winter keto dessert recipe!
When making this dessert, it is a labor of love to peel and cut up the jicama. If you can find pre-cut jicama sticks, that is an option to save you some sweat and tears but it is much more expensive than buying the whole jicama.
Here’s what my Hip sidekick Lina had to say about this keto apple crisp:
“Wow! It’s amazing how when roasted diced jicama tastes and smells like warm roasted apples. This is delicious! What a great keto dessert option. I love the cinnamon brown sugar flavor. The smell is super inviting too when it’s baking in the oven. Keto ice cream is a perfect addition.”
Looking for more amazing desserts, check out keto pumpkin cinnamon rolls.