Your Tastebuds Called… They Want You to Try This Keto Smash Burger Recipe ASAP!
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This easy copycat keto Smash Burger recipe will quickly become a favorite thanks to the perfectly crisped patty edges and tangy sauce.
Are you ready to make mouthwatering keto burgers at home?
There’s nothing like biting into a perfectly grilled burger. 🍔 The crunch of a slightly toasted keto bun slathered in a delicious sauce, the crispy edges of the patty, the gooey, melted cheddar cheese, all topped with fresh slices of tomato, onion, lettuce, and finished off with a few dill pickle slices. It’s like heaven on earth.
This keto version of the popular Smash Burger recipe is so easy to make and I promise your family will love it! You can use your favorite brand of keto hamburger buns, try our keto bun recipe, or use a lettuce wrap to keep the carbs really low.
If you haven’t tried a Smash Burger yet, you’re missing out!
Do you have a Smash Burger where you live? This popular chain started in Denver, Colorado, and has since expanded across the United States. What makes their burgers special is that they form the ground beef into a ball and place it directly on a hot grill top. That ball of ground beef is then smashed down flat with a large metal spatula or a grill press to form the patty. This creates those delicious crispy edges. 🤤
You’ll want to cook this burger in a cast-iron skillet or on a flat grill top on your barbeque. Because of the “smashing”, you don’t want to cook this directly on the barbeque grill as it will crumble through the grates.
Tips for making the best Keto Smash Burger recipe:
- This recipe makes 3 double-patty burgers. If you want single-patty burgers, just form the pound of ground beef into 3 balls instead of 6 balls and enjoy larger patties, or cut the recipe in half.
- It’s debatable whether Smash Burger uses cheddar cheese or American cheese for their burgers, but we used cheddar cheese for this recipe and it goes really well with the sauce!
- The patties cook very quickly, only about 2 minutes per side if you want them medium. If you like them more well-done, cook them closer to 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- If you use a cast-iron skillet, you’ll likely have to cook the patties in batches, depending on the size of your skillet.
The Absolute Best Smash Burger Recipe
yield: 3 SERVINGS
prep time: 15 MINUTES
cook time: 15 MINUTES
total time: 30 MINUTES
Balls of ground beef are placed on a hot grill top and then smashed to create a perfectly grilled patty. Serve with toasted keto buns, a tasty sauce, lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles.
Smash Burger Sauce:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard (you can sub in brown or dijon, if preferred)
- 2 teaspoons pickle juice
- 1 pound of 80/20 ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter, for frying the burger patties
- pinch of salt
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 large tomato, sliced thin
- 1 head of green leaf lettuce
- 9 dill pickle slices
Get ready to sink your teeth into this keto smash burger recipe!
That first bite into this juicy and crispy burger is what summer burger dreams are made of. 😍 Making burgers at home is a great way to save money – and with this recipe, it’ll be just like going out to eat but in the comfort of your own home. Enjoy!
My Hip sidekick Jen made these burgers and here’s what she had to say:
“My whole family loved these burgers! Frying them in butter really keeps them juicy and flavorful! The crispy edges are yummy, the cheese is gooey, and the sauce is delicious! This is hot meaty satisfaction at its best!”
Craving more burgers? Check out our recipe for Keto Cheddar Bacon Ranch Stuffed Burgers!