Got an itch for the Golden Arches?
McDonald’s offers a pretty helpful, customizable nutrition and dining guide, but it helps even more to have a little keto help from someone who’s been where you are when you’re wondering what to order.
The basics of successful McDonald’s ordering:
- Avoid buns, wraps, bagels, biscuits, pancakes, breading, and french fries.
- When in doubt, leave condiments out.
- For drinks, stick with water, black coffee, unsweetened iced tea, or Diet Coke products.
- If the menu says “sugar-free”, check the nutrition guide anyway.
- Download the free app for amazing deals: iPhone or Android
Here’s how to order keto at America’s fave fast food spot:
“Egg McMuffin with sausage and cheese, hold the bread. And a black coffee.”
Want real, fresh eggs? Go with the McMuffin over the folded egg, which is poured from a container prior to cooking. The plain, black coffee is your safest caffeinated bet here since their sugar-free coffee options are not keto.
Meal TOTAL: 520 calories | 46g fat | 4g carbs | 28g protein
- Sausage patty: 190 calories | 18g fat | 1g carbs | 7g protein
- Egg: 70 calories | 5g fat | 1g carbs | 7g protein
- American cheese, slice: 50 calories | 3.5g fat | 2g carbs | 3g protein
- Coffee, plain, black: 0 calories | 0g fat | 0g carbs | 0g protein
Lunch & Dinner
“I’ll have the sandwich please, without the bun, ketchup, or sauce…”
Options here abound, from new, artisan sandwiches to their standard go-to’s. Note these burgers do not include onions, pickles, or sauces:
- Hamburger: 90 calories | 6g fat | 0g carbs | 7g protein
- Cheeseburger: 140 calories | 10g fat | 2g carbs | 10g protein
- Double Cheeseburger: 270 calories | 20g fat | 4g carbs | 1g fiber | 20g protein
- McDouble: 220 calories | 16g fat | 3g carbs | 17g protein
- Bacon McDouble: 290 calories | 21g fat | 3g carbs | 23g protein
- Triple Cheeseburger: 360 calories | 26g fat | 5g carbs| 1g fiber | 27g protein
- Quarter Pounder: 240 calories | 18g fat | 1g carbs | 20g protein
- Quarter Pounder with Cheese: 340 calories | 25g fat | 4g carbs|1g fiber | 25g protein
- Big Mac: 230 calories | 16g fat | 3g carbs | 1g fiber | 17g protein
- Pico Guacamole Burger: 390 calories | 28g fat | 8g carbs | 2g fiber | 25g protein
- Artisan Grilled Chicken Sandwich: 160 calories | 4g fat | 2g carbs | 29g protein
“…And to that sandwich, can you add…”
What can you put on your sandwiches? Be aware some toppings cost extra (varies by location). Pick from these:
- Mayonnaise: 100 calories | 10g fat | 0g carbs | 0g protein
- Mustard: 5 calories | 0g fat | 0g carbs | 0g protein
- Pickles (2): 0 calories | 0g fat | 0g carbs | 0g protein
- Onion: 0 calories | 0g fat | 1g carbs | 0g protein
- Lettuce: 0 calories | 0g fat | 0g carbs | 0g protein
- Tomato (1 slice): 5 calories | 0g fat | 1g carbs | 0g protein
- Bacon (1 strip): 70 calories | 4.5g fat | 1g carbs | 5g protein
- Tartar Sauce: 90 calories | 10g fat | 1g carbs | 0g protein
- Guacamole: 50 calories | 4.5g fat | 3g carbs | 1g fiber | 1g protein
- Pico de gallo: 10 calories | 0g fat | 2g carbs | 0g fiber | 0g protein
- Big Mac Sauce: 90 calories | 9g fat | 2g carbs | 0g fiber | 0g protein
“Instead of French fries, can I get a side salad, please, no dressing.”
While you’re at it, pluck off any bits of carrot. Or, in the case of this salad… bit.
- Side Salad, no dressing: 15 calories | 0g fat | 3g carbs | 1g fiber | 1g protein
“I’d like the bacon ranch grilled salad, please. No dressing.”
Not in the mood for a burger? Try this instead! If you see any croutons or carrot slices/slivers, toss those aside.
- Bacon ranch grilled salad, no dressing: 320 calories | 14g fat | 9g carbs | 3g fiber | 42g protein
As you can see, with a little due diligence, you can enjoy lunch wherever your adventures take you! Enjoy!