Low-Carb Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan Over Pesto Zoodles
This flavorful chicken dinner is sure to be a family favorite!
It doesn’t take a pro to make this restaurant-quality crispy low-carb chicken covered with hearty marinara sauce & melted mozzarella served atop a bed of pesto infused zucchini noodles. It’s undoubtedly delicious and undeniably achievable! It’s a favored weeknight dinner in my house, even with picky kiddos. I’m certain it will be a hit in your home, too!
- Save time by preparing the zucchini noodles earlier in the day. Just cover and refrigerate. I recommend removing your zoodles from the fridge when you begin the chicken, allowing them time to come to room temperature.
- Because zucchini has a high moisture content, always serve your zoodles immediately after they’ve been tossed in sauce.
- I prefer using the thicker noodle blade of my Paderno Spiralizer. Thicker zoodles remain al dente and are less likely to get mushy.
- Don’t forget to pound your meat to about 1/2″ thick. This helps the chicken cook evenly.
- I use a meat thermometer to avoid overcooked (or undercooked) chicken. I own the ThermoPro Wireless Digital Thermometer. It’s fantastic!
Low-Carb Chicken Parmesan Over Pesto Zoodles
yield: 8 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
total time: 55 MINUTES
This colorful, restaurant-quality dish boasts a variety of delicious flavors!
For the zoodles:
- 4 medium to medium-large zucchini (8-10 inches long)
- 3/4 cup (7 oz.) prepared pesto sauce (I like Three Bridges)
For the chicken:
- 4 chicken breasts (about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 (3 oz.) bag pork rinds, finely crushed
- 1 1/4 cup (5 oz.) fine-grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 cup no-sugar-added marinara sauce (like Rao's or Ragu Simply)
- 8 oz. block-style whole milk mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 even slices (like Polly-O or Galbani)
- shaved or shredded parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
- fresh basil leaves, gently chopped for topping (optional)
Wow your dinner guests!
Dinner parties with friends are super fun, BUT they can also be seriously stressful. I totally get it—meal prep, cooking, cleaning, etc. It’s a lot of time and multitasking. Fortunately, this Chicken Parmesan and pesto zoodle recipe is a perfect meal for dinner guests.
Spiralize the zoodles well in advance and use fresh store-bought pesto to save time. Pre-prepare the “breading” mix earlier in the day to help prep move quickly. Later, while the chicken bakes, there’s a window of time to tidy the kitchen and wash the prep dishes. All these little things help manage dinner-hosting anxieties.
Best of all, this meal plates up BEAUTIFULLY! I highly recommend adding freshly chopped basil to each serving, as it elevates the presentation to a whole new level. And don’t forget to set the table with a few extras like shaved parmesan, crushed red pepper flakes, and additional marinara sauce. For the wine, select a good Merlot or Pinot Noir. Enjoy!
Add a dessert course with this delicious low-carb cheesecake!