Our Keto Green Bean Casserole is a Low- Carb Twist on a Traditional Dish
As an Amazon Associate, Hip2Keto earns a small commission from qualifying purchases in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This keto green bean casserole is the side dish of your dreams.
Make new traditions with this keto green bean casserole!
This keto green bean casserole is the side dish that low-carb Thanksgiving tables dream about. I guarantee you’ll be saying “fried onion straws who?!” If you feel like you’ve been missing out on classic holiday side dishes at family gatherings, those days are long gone!
I came up with this keto take on the traditional green bean casserole to help keep you on track over the holidays, and you won’t be able to guess the secret ingredient that makes it shine. And even though this is a fan-favorite recipe at Thanksgiving, you can make this tasty side dish any time of the year!
You might even eat this as an entree… it’s that good!
While this keto green bean casserole is meant to be eaten as a side dish, I think you could get away with eating it as a main course. I couldn’t stop myself from taking bites of this as I was photographing it! 🤤 If you want to make this a one-dish meal, you could just add meat, like ground beef, sausage, or chicken.
To make this keto, I replaced fried onions with a mixture of grated parmesan and ground pork rinds, and oh my it is so, so good! 😋 I used pre-ground pork rinds that I bought on Amazon, but you could make your own. Our team loves the Pork King Good brand.
I also made my own “keto cream of mushroom soup” for the sauce, which I found to be much tastier and healthier than opening a can. And the secret ingredient to making this really pop… is surprisingly lemon! 🍋 I find a bit of lemon juice just brightens everything and the addition to this dish is simply spectacular.
Tips for making the very best keto green bean casserole:
- I’ll say it a little louder for the people in the back — Don’t skip the lemon zest and lemon juice! That secret ingredient adds incredible flavor.
- I highly recommend pre-cooking the green beans before you bake this dish. I blanched the green beans to help them keep their color, but if you’re short on time, you could microwave them or even used canned. And really, you could just cook the dish longer to soften the green beans, they just don’t look as pretty in my opinion.
- Buy pre-ground pork rinds to save on time. I used Italian flavored crumbs and they were amazing with this recipe. You can also easily make your own pork rind crumbs in a food processor.
- This casserole will keep in the fridge for five days or you can freeze it for up to three months.
Keto Green Bean Casserole
yield: 12 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 60 MINUTES
Made with fresh green beans, a homemade keto cream of mushroom soup, and topped with pork rind crumbs and parmesan.
- 6 cups (1 1/2 pounds) fresh green beans, untrimmed
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 8 oz. full-fat cream cheese (1 block), cubed
- 2 tablespoons full-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- zest from 1 large lemon
- juice from 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup ground pork rinds
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Make room at Thanksgiving for keto green bean casserole!
This side dish is definitely a crowd-pleaser for the entire fam! And actually, I like it better than the traditional green bean casserole that I grew up eating. 😏 Hope you like it as much as I do!
My Hip sidekick Jenna made this keto green bean casserole and here’s what she thought:
“This green bean casserole is just awesome. So much flavor and it’s so fresh tasting! I’m not going to lie, I was totally unsure of the lemon juice and lemon zest, but that ended up making this that much better. There isn’t anything that I don’t love about this recipe — the fresh green beans, the sauce, the topping… This is so good!”
Find more of our keto-friendly casserole recipes over here!