This Easy and Yum Keto Reuben in a Mug is a Team Fave!
Reuben sandwiches are satisfying comfort food.
They’re packed full of mouthwatering flavors: sweet, salty, and tangy. That said, one of the key components of a Reuben is the rye bread, which is a no-go for keto. No worries – we’ve got an easy keto Reuben in a mug to get you that rye bread flavor without kicking your body out of ketosis!
What’s a Reuben?
A traditional Reuben sandwich is made of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian or Thousand Island dressing. These are then grilled between slices of rye bread.
Our keto-friendly version skips the bread and is cooked in a mug in the microwave. The secret for getting that authentic Reuben flavor without the bread? Caraway seeds! It’s what gives rye bread its distinct flavor.
- Skip the canned corned beef and use the real thing.
- To save cook time during the week, make a corned beef brisket in the slow cooker or Instant pot on the weekend.
- Then, thinly slice the corned beef into strips to keep on hand for a quick Reuben in a Mug during the busy week.
Keto Reuben in a Mug
yield: 1 SERVINGS
Our keto friendly, yummy Reuben in a mug recipe skips the bread and uses the microwave instead!
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup sauerkraut, drained
- ¼ shredded Swiss cheese
- 3.5 oz prepared corned beef, chopped
KETO THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING RECIPE
Makes a ½ cup of dressing, or 4 servings. Serving size: 2 tablespoons.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoon sugar-free ketchup
- 1 ½ tablespoon dill pickle relish
- ½ tablespoon white vinegar
- A dash of sweetener (swerve)
Add all the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Store in a small glass jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Yield 4, Serving Size 2 Tbsp
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187, Carbs: 0, Fiber: 0, Net Carbs: 0, Total Fat 21 g, Protein: 0
This recipe is so easy and fun!
I love recipes that are flexible, whether you’re making a small meal for one or you’re living in a dorm with only a microwave to cook your favorite keto creations! Enjoy!