These ONE-Ingredient Cheese Taco Shells Are So Crunchy!
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Miss eating crunchy tacos? You’ve got to try making these easy low-carb taco shells!
Make this low-carb taco shell recipe using just shredded cheese! It works great, tastes AMAZING, and is very easy to accomplish. You’ll be hooked! Mind = Blown.
Hip tips for making low-carb taco shells
- Since cheese is the only ingredient in this recipe, choosing the right one is the key to making a good low-carb taco shell. You’ll want a low-moisture cheese that gets crispy when baked and something with a flavor that compliments Mexican food. I typically use a Mexican blend for my taco shells, but cheddar cheese checks all these boxes as well!
- To get your taco shells to turn out thin and crispy, make sure that you’re using only a very thin layer of cheese. You may even want to space your cheese out a little more so it appears “wispy” on the parchment paper.
- When making your cheese circles, try to make sure that they’re all the same size. That way, all your shells will be done baking at the same time.
- These low-carb taco shells are best served on the day that they’re made. They don’t reheat well, as the cheese will soften as it’s reheated. If you have leftovers, they can be stored in an airtight container for a few days, but they won’t be as crispy as they were on day one.
Low-Carb Taco Shells
yield: 4 SERVINGS
prep time: 2 MINUTES
cook time: 8 MINUTES
total time: 10 MINUTES
This is an absolute game-changer for low-carbers!
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a Mexican Blend)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange 1/2 a cup of shredded cheese into a thin layer covering a 6-inch circle.
Bake at 400 degrees until cheese turns slightly brown, around 6-8 minutes (possibly more depending how big your circles are).
Build a little platform using large cups and lay spoons or chopsticks across the cups.
Use a spatula to transfer the cheese to lay across the suspended spoons. Let cool until firm.
Fill with taco meat and toppings! YUM!
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1 taco shell
Amount Per Serving: 219.5 Calories | 18g Fat | 1.1g Total Carbs | 0g Fiber | 0g Sugar Alcohol | 13.4g Protein | 1.1g Net Carbs
This is an absolute game-changer for low-carbe eaters!
Let’s face it; when you want to get your Taco Tuesday on, lettuce cups can get old fast. With these easy, cheesy shells, you can make lots of meals into a taco – Sloppy Joe’s, shredded BBQ meat, tuna salad, these would all make great fillings!
You can also try a different shredded cheese like Parmesan, and you can even put yours in this snazzy taco truck holder!
Wonderful idea…never thought of that??
WI’ll they work in microwave . If so, how long?
Yes! You can make cheese-only shells in the microwave. Use parchment paper and because time varies by microwave according to wattage, expect roughly a minute to 1.5 minutes. Regardless, stop the microwave once the cheese stops boiling. Open it up, and quickly take it out and bend it into a taco. I hope this helps!
Mine always turn out greasy. What am I doing wrong?
Try spacing out the cheese more than I did so it’s a little more wispy. That seems to help.
Hi Mammie! Great question! Be sure to check out the helpful tips on getting these crispier in this video! https://www.facebook.com/Hip2Keto/videos/831949883832558/
Something that works for me is I purchased the plastic clothes hangers that are fat and hang them on the cabinet knobs. Then I drape the shells over them to harden. Doesn’t take up counter space.
Hi Brenda! I never would have thought of that! Thanks for the tip❤
Do these shells keep for a couple days?
They won’t be as crunchy, but you could store them in an airtight container for a few days.