Lemon Poppy Seed Keto Mug Cake
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Out of this world keto cake in less than 10 minutes!
Wow, this keto lemon poppy seed mug cake… It’s an anomaly that something can taste so GOOD, yet be so EASY to make. This is a great option for a sweet breakfast, an evening dessert, or a keep-it-in-the-fridge-to-munch-all-day treat!
Prepare the dry ingredients in a Mason jar to have on hand when your sweet tooth strikes!
Add and mix the dry ingredients in a Mason jar. When you’re in the mood for keto cake, simply blend your wet ingredients, add your dry mix, whip it together, and you’re cookin’! (See Mason jar method below recipe.)
Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cake
yield: 2 SERVINGS
prep time: 5 MINUTES
cook time: 2 MINUTES
total time: 7 MINUTES
A fast keto fix for your sweet tooth!
For the Cake:
- 3 tablespoons almond flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons erythritol, granular (I use Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener with Erythritol, Golden)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg (best at room temperature)
For the Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon erythritol, powdered
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1/2 teaspoon heavy cream
Mason Jar Method
Ingredients for one 16 oz. Mason Jar (1 jar makes 4 keto mug cakes): 3/4 cup almond flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Erythritol (granular), 1 tsp poppy seeds, and 1 tbsp + 1 tsp lemon zest.
Add 6 tablespoons of prepared keto cake mix to already combined wet ingredients (2 tbsp melted butter, 1 tbs heavy cream, 1/8 tsp almond extract, 1 egg) as directed in step #2 of the recipe above. Follow additional steps… Keto cake, ahoy!
For best results, store your prepared mason jar mix in the refrigerator.
1) Be sure to choose the right size mug. The wet batter should fill the mug about halfway to allow your keto cake to rise while it cooks.
2) To bring eggs to room temperature quickly: Simply fill a bowl with very warm tap water. Place your cold eggs into the water gently. Wait for about five minutes.
3) How to dry lemon zest (for premade Mason jar mix):
- Countertop method: Spread zest in a single layer on a plate or waxed paper and leave it exposed to the air until it is dry and brittle (usually 1-2 days). Store any unused, dried zest in a sealed container in a cool, dry place.
- Speed method: If you are short on time, you can also dry your lemon zest in a 200-degree oven. Spread the zest on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. The peels will curl a bit and stiffen when dry.
- Don’t bother method: If you’re not a fan of grating your own zest for a keto mug cake, then buy some already dried lemon peel.
5) As mentioned in the recipe, I highly recommend using Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour and Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener with Erythritol, Golden.