Keto Chicken Fajita Casserole
Hip2Keto may earn a small commission via affiliate links in this post. Read our full disclosure policy here.
This twist on chicken fajitas needs to be on your dinner table tonight!
I don’t know about you but I can never have enough casseroles in my recipe book. This keto chicken fajita casserole has been requested weekly by my family and I sure do enjoy making it. It’s packed with flavor from the various peppers, onions, and our homemade keto taco seasoning. This low carb casserole will have you dancing in your seat.
Give your casserole a kick!
I’m a huge fan of peppers so I used all the colors, but if you aren’t a fan of certain bell pepper varieties, you can double up on the ones you love. Add some fresh sliced avocados, a dollop of sour cream, and your Taco Tuesday will be better than ever!
Tips for making the best keto chicken fajita casserole:
- I boiled four chicken breasts to shred, but if you want to speed up the time for this recipe, you can buy pre-shredded chicken or even grab a rotisserie chicken from Sam’s or Costco.
- Did you know that you can use your mixer to shred chicken? It’s super easy to do! I just throw the chicken into my KitchenAid mixer with the paddle attachment on, set it to low for about a minute, and mix. Easy peasy and it’s perfectly shredded without having to do it by hand.
- I used our keto taco seasoning for this casserole — it really tastes so much better than store-bought. However, if you’re running short on time, feel free to grab a package of your favorite low carb taco seasoning.
- I didn’t drain the can of Rotel tomatoes when adding them to this recipe. By not draining, it really boosts the flavor while achieving the perfect consistency.
- I used my FullStar vegetable chopper to quickly dice the peppers and onions. It’s such a time saver in the kitchen and gets used frequently!
Keto Chicken Fajita Casserole
yield: 6 SERVINGS
prep time: 40 MINUTES
cook time: 20 MINUTES
total time: 60 MINUTES
This delicious Mexican-inspired keto chicken fajita casserole is filled with peppers, cheese, chicken, and more. A low-carb casserole your entire family will love!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (about 3 lbs or 4 cups of shredded chicken)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons keto taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped into 1/2" squares
- 1 red pepper, chopped into 1/2" squares
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped into 1/2 squares
- 1 orange pepper, chopped into 1/2" squares
- 1 medium size onion, chopped into 1/2" squares
- 10 oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 8 oz. bag Mexican cheese mix, shredded
- avocado, sliced or cubed
- jalapeño, sliced
- sour cream
Place chicken breasts in a large pot and pour in enough water to cover the breasts. Add 1 tablespoon of salt to the water. Place over medium/high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until no longer pink, for about 40 minutes. Allow chicken to cool, then shred it into small pieces. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, and then sauté the chopped peppers, onions, Rotel tomatoes, and 1 tablespoon taco seasoning for 5 minutes or until tender.
In a large bowl, add shredded chicken, cream cheese, 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, 1 cup of shredded cheese, and mix together well.
Spread the chicken mixture in the casserole dish. Top with sautéed peppers and onions mix.
Add the remaining cup of shredded cheese to the top and place in the oven for 20 minutes. You can also broil for a minute before serving (optional).
Serve with all your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
Yield: 6, Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: 585 Calories | 31.6g Fat | 9.9g Total Carbs | 3.6g Fiber | 5.2g Sugar | 65.5g Protein | 6.3g Net Carbs
A real fiesta for your taste buds!
This keto chicken fajita casserole combines all of my favorite Mexican-inspired flavors into one delicious dish. I love ordering fajitas at restaurants when I go out and I always skip the tortillas to save on carbs. But with this casserole, you won’t even miss them. I gotta tell ya, it’s even better reheated the next day for lunch. 😋
Here’s what my teammate Jenna had to say about this recipe:
“This keto chicken fajita casserole is so tasty! I love the fresh-tasting peppers combined with the creamy chicken. The homemade keto taco seasoning really gives it a great flavor, and the cream cheese all mixed in is such a home run. Also, this reheats beautifully, and I may or may not have had some for breakfast the next morning! 😋”
CHICKEN FAJITA CASSEROLE
This is awesome over some cauliflower rice.
Yummy! Thanks for the suggestion, Deb!
Good and worth making again. However it needs much more spice!
Thanks so much for letting us know what you thought of it!
I made this for dinner tonight. It was fantastic!
Yay! SO glad to hear how yummy it turned out! Thanks for the feedback!
Love all the recipes!
Thank you for letting us know!
Picture has a can of chicken broth. When is it used?
It can be used for extra moisture if you need it. Ultimately, we felt like it has plenty of liquid since we didn’t drain the Rotel. If you want to drain your Rotel, you can substitute the liquid with broth.
This is delicious.
This is in my oven rn, I’ll report back! But… am I the only one wondering why this is called a fajita casserole when taco seasoning is being used instead of fajita seasoning? I actually made mine with homemade fajita seasoning bc I’m out of taco seasoning. We’ll see how it is! 😋
Also, after making the two mixtures I split them in half and am making one into a freezer meal! 😁
Hi there! Such a great idea to bake half and freeze half! You can use either a fajita or taco seasoning for this. The main difference is that the taco seasoning would have a bit more chili powder and the fajita has more cumin. Hope you love it!
My husband said last night, “I think this one’s a keeper!” 😋
Yay! SO glad he enjoyed it! 🙌 Thanks a bunch for the update!
Great recipe! I took my leftovers and wrapped them in a low carb burrito and fried it 🤤 I also bought the full star vegetable slicer from this recipe and it was the best decision!!
YAY! SO happy that you loved it! 😋❤️