Introducing the Best Low-Carb Lasagna Made with Egg Wraps
Lasagna… one of the most beloved comfort foods is now keto!
And you thought you had to give up your favorite Italian casserole to be keto…..not anymore! Versatile Crepini egg wraps step in for sheets of lasagna noodles to create a hearty dinner that your entire family will love.
Introducing Low Carb Egg Wrap Lasagna!
Layers of creamy, luscious cheeses (four kinds!), savory meat sauce, and low carb egg wrap “pasta” combine to make this classic Italian dinner.
In this recipe, I combined ground beef and Italian chicken sausage to create a more robust and seasoned sauce. Ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses are traditionally used, and I also added provolone for a richer depth of flavor.
It’s common knowledge that lasagna is a flavorful and filling Italian one-dish-wonder, but did you know lasagna was made without tomato sauce until Christopher Columbus traveled to the New World in 1492 and brought tomatoes back to Italy. Now there’s a piece of food trivia I didn’t know until I researched lasagna for this post.
Tips for making the best egg wrap low carb lasagna:
- I used ground beef and Italian chicken sausage (you could use regular pork Italian sausage or whatever sausage you like). The seasonings in the sausage greatly enhance the flavor, but you can make it with all ground beef if you like. It will be fabulous either way!
- Instead of lasagna noodles, I used egg wraps. I’ve had great results with Crepini Egg Wraps, but there are several other brands available. I’ve spotted egg wraps at Costco, Walmart, Sprouts, Whole Foods, and most larger chain grocery stores in the refrigerated section. Head here to find a store that sells Crepini Egg Wraps near you.
- While we’re talking about egg wraps, I suggest you use 18 wraps which is 1 1/2 packages. They are very thin and delicate, and you will overlap a bit when you layer the lasagna. It gives the lasagna a better, firmer structure, and makes slicing and serving easier.
- Use a 9 x 13-inch pan, casserole, or lasagna pan. Lasagna pans are usually a bit bigger, and that’s fine for this recipe. Optimally, the pan should be at least 2-inches deep. If you use a shallower 9 x 13-inch pan, you might want to place the pan on a larger sheet pan when you put it in the oven just in case a little sauce bubbles over. I’m all about easy clean-up!
Low Carb Egg Wrap Lasagna
yield: 12 SERVINGS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 60 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES
Egg wraps step in for lasagna noodles making this classic Italian casserole a keto favorite.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (pork, chicken, or turkey)
- 1 pound ground beef or ground sirloin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 jars (about 48 oz. or 6 cups) keto-friendly pasta sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 15 oz. full fat ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups (16 oz.) mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 18 egg wraps, cut in half (totals 36 pieces)
If you’re a real pasta lover, it can be challenging to stay the course once you’ve switched to a keto lifestyle. But no more! Finally, a “pasta” dish that’s 100% low carb and outrageously delicious! Enjoy!
My Hip sidekick Jenna gave this recipe a try and here’s what she thought:
“I LOVE everything about this egg wrap low-carb lasagna! The cheese is the star of this dish in my opinion, and this is everything a lasagna should be. It makes a bunch of good-sized helpings and reheats really nicely. I could only find Italian egg wraps but that actually worked out well! This whole dish has so much flavor and I loved it, I can’t wait to make it again!”
Add a Caesar salad and your meal is complete!